Everything Grows

In 1964, our family moved to the Wenatchee Valley. My dad, Tony DeRooy, had just been hired as the first Landcape Supervisor at Rocky Reach Dam. Prior to that, he had worked for the Great Northern Railroad as the third of only three (ever) Superintendents of Parks. He had followed in the footsteps of my grandfather, Arie DeRooy, who had the position from 1934 until his death at Many Glacier Lodge on August 8, 1951. Growing plants, flowers and children was their life work. Anyone who knew these men, as well as the women who have stood faithfully by (thanks, Mom!) recognized their passion. This blog will be concerned mainly with dahlia and garden thoughts, but will also discuss things that are happening in the beautiful valleys, plains and mountains that we know as North Central Washington.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Old Dog Learns New Tricks!

So, when I decided to set up a page on Facebook to talk about the North Central Dahlia Society and get the word out on our coming events, I really didn't know what I was doing......I went ahead and created what I thought would be a "group" but it turned out that is was just a "page" and that pages are not as universal as "groups" are. Yikes!! I thought I was pretty good with "tech", but realize that I am still a rank amateur! My sister Debbie is a number of levels above me when it comes to technology, so last night I asked her to help me with this. She managed to walk me through the process of setting up a "group" which also has a hotlink to this blog. This morning, I deleted the original page, notifying those who "liked" the page that I'd love to have them join the NCW Dahlia Society group instead. I hope people are patient with me as I navigate the everchanging landscape of social networking and technology!

Debbie and I hit the streets of Wenatchee last night, trying to identify spots to hang our banners, advertising the September 18-19 show. We posted one at the Tony DeRooy Memorial Garden on Emerson Street (adjacent to the Numerica Credit Union parking lot), and one on the corner of Valley Mall Parkway and Third in East Wenatchee. We drove through town looking for other high visibility spots, and spotted "possibles" at Hastings (already full) , Safeway (the middle space looked open), Walgreens (on the lawn), and Grocery Outlet (nothing up on their sign yet!) We went into each place, asking if we could post the banner, but were told by all that we would need to talk to the store managers, who would not be in until tomorrow. The guy we talked to at Safeway, Jean Luc, had a definite French accent, and when we approached him, he told us he didn't speak English. Debbie came back with "That's OK - we both know some French (Thank you, WHS!) "petit peu". He seemed amused and gave us the name of JoDee, who handled such things. We left with a "merci, beaucoups" and he told us "le plesir de moi..." or something like that. (Please pardon my awkward syntax and French spelling!)Anyway, this a.m. I called "Jim" when he arrived at 8:00 at Grocery Outlet. He seemed happy to give us permission to post our third and last banner on Wenatchee Avenue, where visibility should be GREAT! Deb will get that up later. We still need to get notices in the Wenatchee World, but I'm working on that. Our sister Vicki is working on a design for permanent banners and aprons that we can have made to use at shows and tuber sales. She has a lot of beautiful dahlia pictures, and as an artist who teaches at Wenatchee Valley College, she brings her special talents to this task. She shared some great mock-ups with me last night, so I'm sure we will select one, and get it to the printer post-haste, hoping we have them in time for the show on the 18th.

Well, I guess that is all for now. It is warming up outside, should be a beautiful day. I need to check out the blooms at Russell Street to see if there is anything that is suitable for entering in the Seattle show when we go over tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

  1. I hope that those of you who are unfamiliar at the process of blogging will feel comfortable with subscribing and commenting on these blogs. Your stories and thoughts will really help enrich other growers by your experience....

    ReplyDelete