Everything Grows

In 1964, our family moved to the Wenatchee Valley. My dad, Tony DeRooy, had just been hired as the first Landcape Supervisor at Rocky Reach Dam. Prior to that, he had worked for the Great Northern Railroad as the third of only three (ever) Superintendents of Parks. He had followed in the footsteps of my grandfather, Arie DeRooy, who had the position from 1934 until his death at Many Glacier Lodge on August 8, 1951. Growing plants, flowers and children was their life work. Anyone who knew these men, as well as the women who have stood faithfully by (thanks, Mom!) recognized their passion. This blog will be concerned mainly with dahlia and garden thoughts, but will also discuss things that are happening in the beautiful valleys, plains and mountains that we know as North Central Washington.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

A New Year, a New Season

I can hardly believe that I am thinking about getting started on my 2011 garden - on January 8! I imagine that there are those who would say I'm rushing the season, but I would disagree. I took a peek under the house a few days ago to check on the tubers and feed the earthworms, and ever since then, I have been thinking about my garden. I received a book on organic gardening from my son's girlfriend's brother, and have been having a lot of fun looking through it. Add to that the fact that I received a Swan Island gift certificate from my husband for my December birthday, and spent about a week deciding what to order - I placed the order yesterday, and can't wait until the tubers arrive in the spring! I went out today, a beautiful blue, cold day in North Central Washington, to measure the area that I plan to use for my raised bed experiment this season. I started estimating construction costs, as well as soil and compost amounts necessary to fill the boxes. I e-mailed Beth Miracle, who has a fabulous raised bed garden at her home in Sunnyslope, just to find out what, how and how much of everything it took to get it built, so am looking forward to her input and advice. Then, to my great delight, I received my December ADS bulletin, 2010 show reports and the new classification guide in the mail - Wow! It's like Christmas all over again! I think I will write an article for the bulletin - I'm THAT inspired! Just sharing the joy, which I hope is more contagious than any winter virus or flu!

No comments:

Post a Comment