Everything Grows

In 1964, our family moved to the Wenatchee Valley. My dad, Tony DeRooy, had just been hired as the first Landcape Supervisor at Rocky Reach Dam. Prior to that, he had worked for the Great Northern Railroad as the third of only three (ever) Superintendents of Parks. He had followed in the footsteps of my grandfather, Arie DeRooy, who had the position from 1934 until his death at Many Glacier Lodge on August 8, 1951. Growing plants, flowers and children was their life work. Anyone who knew these men, as well as the women who have stood faithfully by (thanks, Mom!) recognized their passion. This blog will be concerned mainly with dahlia and garden thoughts, but will also discuss things that are happening in the beautiful valleys, plains and mountains that we know as North Central Washington.

Friday, August 31, 2012

ONCE IN A BLUE MOON.....

WELCOME TO THE SHOW!
THE BALLROOM - OVERLOOKING THE COLUMBIA - WILL BE FILLED WITH DAHLIAS 12 HOURS FROM NOW
DANIELLE P & THE CLASSIFICATION COMMITTEE
THE CITY OF ROSES MEETS UP WITH OUR FAVORITE FLOWER
I'm sure you all know that the rare phenomenon known as a "blue moon" is happening tonight. For the second time in a month, we are gifted with a full moon, and the exquisite creaminess of the lunar rise was as elegant as any full moon could be, perfectly complementing what is going on this very minute in the ballroom here at the Red Lion on the River. As I write this, scores of people of all ages and from all over the country are carefully preparing some of the most amazing specimens of our favorite flower for entry into tomorrow's show. To say that I am astounded by the quality, variety, creativity and care that has gone into the presentation of so many perfect (and even better than perfect!) dahlias is clearly an understatement. As unique and distinctive as the blue moon may be, the presentation of these incredible blooms is also a rare and memorable experience for anyone lucky enough to show up this weekend. I managed to keep a few flowers alive long enough to enter them into their various sections, but anything I brought has disappeared in the splendor of the entries that I have seen tonight. And I don't even feel bad about that! Maybe I'm not competitive enough yet, but I simply can't feel bad about my little flowers when my spirit has been so generously fed by the glory in that ballroom. Gotta go now.....finally received the mat board that I need to mount my photos for entry in the show....Hmmmm.....11:00 pm.....anyone who knows me knows that this is w-a-a-a-y past my bedtime. How often do I have anything important enough to keep me up this late? Oh, maybe once in a blue moon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment