Everything Grows

In 1964, our family moved to the Wenatchee Valley. My dad, Tony DeRooy, had just been hired as the first Landcape Supervisor at Rocky Reach Dam. Prior to that, he had worked for the Great Northern Railroad as the third of only three (ever) Superintendents of Parks. He had followed in the footsteps of my grandfather, Arie DeRooy, who had the position from 1934 until his death at Many Glacier Lodge on August 8, 1951. Growing plants, flowers and children was their life work. Anyone who knew these men, as well as the women who have stood faithfully by (thanks, Mom!) recognized their passion. This blog will be concerned mainly with dahlia and garden thoughts, but will also discuss things that are happening in the beautiful valleys, plains and mountains that we know as North Central Washington.

Saturday, August 10, 2013

TO COMPETE, OR NOT TO COMPETE….THAT IS THE QUESTION


 Show season got off to a great start last weekend, August 3-4, at the Kitsap County Fairgrounds. In spite of the fact that many growers lamented a lack of show-worthy blooms, this show was replete with beauties of all sizes, colors and varieties.  I found myself, once again, overwhelmed by the quality and diversity of the flowers! As usual, I spent most of Saturday and Sunday at the show or the trial gardens, picking the brains of the wonderful dahlia-folk from all over the state. They seemed like they had all the time in the world to mentor me, a very amateur grower, and to answer all my questions without laughing at me even once! I brought just five blooms over from North Central Washington, and of those, only three were judged – Lakeview Gertie blew her center, and Baby Red’s stem drooped.  The 26-hour span between cutting and judging didn’t serve these babies well, but I did have some luck with my photos. I entered in three of the four photo classes, and took best of section in all of them, as well as the ribbon for Best Photo in Show. I am pretty grateful for the opportunity to photograph my favorite subjects, and glad that clubs such as Kitsap County have a photo division for struggling dahlia growers such as myself!

I never knew that I was a competitive person – I remember Dad talking about how important it is for serious dahlia growers to put themselves and their blooms out there, to be judged against our peers. With dahlias, the simple idea of growing something so lush and generous in my own back yard was initially my primary motivator.  Dad didn’t live long enough to see me have my own dahlia garden or win any ribbons. My journey as a grower and exhibitor began after he passed away in 2006, and to me, it is a legacy.  The quality of the process that goes into the judging of blooms and entries is based on thoughtfulness, analysis and consistently high standards.  If one of my entries receives a blue or higher, I can assume that I am getting better at tending my blooms as well as preparing them to share a table with some of the most accomplished dahlia-folk in the business. While I feel awkward and inept much of the time, it is exciting to be there. Whether my blooms win or not, the thrill of sitting side-by-side, among the very best, is a victory in itself, and I think Dad would be proud. Today, almost 7 years since his passing, I suspect that Dad’s spirit has somehow crept into my soul, and while I still grow for the joy of it, the idea of challenging myself to end up on a head table has become very important.


Speaking of Dad, my sisters Vicki and Debbie came across a movie that Dad made around 1969 or 1970, called “The Dahlia: King of Autumn.” He left it in his desk, among his personal effects. The technology is awkward and dated, and at times the audio and video do not match up. However, the content is still good and I learned a lot when, last month, I watched it for the first time. Seeing his face and hearing his voice brought a lot of emotions to the surface for me, and the sense of missing him hit me like a ton of bricks.  However, following a couple viewings of the video, created using a 16mm home movie camera and an audio cassette, I settled down and realized what a gift this was.  I can only imagine the thousands of times that I thought “I should ask Dad about this….” Or “I need to show this plant/flower to Dad to get his input on what I can do better…” or anything else that he was always willing to help with.  Now I have some answers, right from the horse’s mouth! If you would like to see the video, it is a little over 30 minutes long, and is available at https://vimeo.com/47874955

Whether you compete or not, I believe the best thing about participating in dahlia shows is the opportunity to collaborate – to work with others who constantly cheer for people like me, who arm us with tools and resources that help us to succeed.  If you play your cards right, every show has the potential to be an intense workshop in the presence of championship growers and exhibitors. Whether we win or lose becomes secondary to this wonderful gift!


 BEST DAHLIA IN SHOW
KITSAP COUNTY DAHLIA SHOW
EXHIBITED BY 6-YEAR OLD AURORA BRANT



No comments:

Post a Comment